Minister Of Information, Lai Mohammed, Claims That Twitter Is Seriously Begging President Muhammadu Buhari’s FG To Lift The Ban On Its Operations In Nigeria, Because They Are Losing Billions By The Day, Vows Not To Listen

The Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, has said that the Management of Twitter, is begging the President Muhammadu Buhari Federal Government for negotiation, because the social media giant is losing billions daily, due to its ban from operating in Nigeria, Page 36 learnt.

Lai Mohammed said this on Wednesday, while addressing State House Correspondents, after the weekly Federal Executive Council, FEC, meeting.

The Information Minister stated that Twitter reached out to the Federal Government this morning, for ‘high-level discussion’.

He added that the ban has so far been very effective, following reports of Twitter’s huge financial losses running into billions.

Lai Mohammed maintained that Twitter has been a platform of choice for separatists to thrive, and would be disallowed from operating until it is duly registered, licensed, and operates within regulations. 

When the Minister was asked about the Law under which Nigerians who violate the Twitter ban would be prosecuted, he refrained from answering, and asked that the Attorney-General of the Federation provide answers.

Speaking concerning the discussion at the FEC meeting chaired by President Muhammadu Buhari, he insisted on the ban, and asked Politicians to rise beyond various divisions, and queue behind the country’s decision to ban the microblogging site.

Lai Mohammed also spoke concerning the payment of tax by Tech giants in the country.

He explained that most of the OTT and social media platforms operating in Nigeria, do not have offices, neither do they pay taxes for the billions they earn, henceforth, the Federal Government’s resolve to ensure that other social media companies like Facebook and Instagram, be registered in the country, and adverts have been published to that effect.

He insisted that freedom of speech has not been stifled as a result of the ban, despite criticisms by Human Rights groups, maintaining that other social media platforms are still available for use.

More news later…

page36 Donate to us

Page 36

Read Previous

Top SAN Calls On Nigerians Not To Participate In Any June 12 Programme By The FG Untill Buhari Leaves Office In 2023, Says The Suspension Of Twitter’s Operation In Nigeria And Forcing Media Stations To Comply, Are Contrary To The Spirit Of June 12

Read Next

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo Announces That Nigerians Must Leave God Out Of The Horrific State Of The Nation, Says Nigerians Must Take All The Blame, Especially The Leaders, Campaigns For A Strong And United Nigeria

One Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *